Sunday, June 24, 2012

This is a Team Effort

I thought I would try to give a sneak peak into my world right now.  Yes, I am home from the hospital. No, I am not back into my old routines.  I have a team that helps me each and every day.  


My mom and dad, two brothers, and father-in-law came earlier this month and tremendously helped out with the kids.  My two sister-in-laws and my mother-in-law have been here recently helping with the kids, coordinating meal times, changing all diapers, as well as bringing the kids swimming, to the park and to movies.  My mother-in-law is really helping with doing school with the kids right now.  I am so thankful for everyone's help with the kids.  I could not have done it on my own.     

The first few days at home, Ben had to help me make my way to the restroom and upstairs, walking with me slowly - slowly. Getting showered, getting dressed,  and drying my hair in the morning is my least favorite time of day.  Ben helps me get dressed every morning.  It used to take me twenty minutes to get a stinkin' shirt on; now I can manage it in about seven minutes.  Each night Ben gives me a Lovenox blood thinner shot in my stomach to help prevent another stroke during the pregnancy.  Ben has been awesome through this whole process.    

We have had countless people bless us with meals.  I cannot say thank you enough!  There is no way my energy is at 'pre-stroke' levels.  I have gone from taking multiple naps a day to just one, and am able to stay up longer at night.  My weeks are full of doctors appointments.  After my two-hour per day therapy I am wiped out.  I take a 45-minute to 1-hour nap after each therapy appointment.  

I try to wear ear plugs at night during dinner to cut down on the noise level.  My brain still gets over-stimulated very quickly.  I tend to get easily distracted.  They believe it will take 2-3 months for my brain to stop being so tired.  I can't wait.  Each day I deal with as it comes.    

Each day is full of a new set of challenges.  I have no license right now. My goal today is to get through the whole day with no cane.  

Yes, things are improving, but we are not back to 'normal.'  Unfortunately I am not able to run after the kids yet.  I still need a lot of assistance.  I am so appreciative of all the extra help we have received.  There is no way I could do this alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amanda, My name is Vicki Haupt -- that's right, Heather's mother-in-law. She called right after she found out you were taken to the hospital to start the prayer chain & ask me info (I am a nurse). You are high on our prayer list at home as well as on our small group list (which isn't small) & our pastor/deacons list. You are an amazing young wife & mother -- keep knocking the socks off those doctors. They didn't teach them encouragement in med school. God is good!! Vicki