Tuesday, October 11, 2011

New Homemade Choices

Well, I prefer to make most of our food from scratch but I need to get away from using harmful chemicals in our home as well. I am going to begin making our own laundry soap, toothpaste and mouthwash, shampoo and conditioner, etc. The main ingredients for both seem to be baking soda. Also, peppermint oil or tea tree oil for the mouthwash seems to be quite popular.

We grow up using chemicals, get accustomed to it and take it as normal. When I stop and stare and look at what I am really putting in my mouth, on my face, in my hair I get a little freaked out. I know I can't change everything and I do enjoy getting my hair done- sorry that will not change...soo, I can look for reasonable changes that affect our daily lives. I feel that these will have more of a lasting impression than my few times of the year I color my hair. Here are some sites I have been looking at:

toothpaste and mouthwash
laundry soap
shampoo
cleaning products
My goal to implement these all by the end of the month. I think this will be a good focus for me as well as making me feel more in control of helping my family achieve health that is free from dangerous pathogens. Do you have any great homemade ideas? Feel free to share them! I would LOVE to hear about them. Thank you!!

1 comment:

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

I've been doing the oil-cleansing method for washing my face since January. I love that it is just two ingredients and that my face is looking better than when I used a gentle soap + lotion twice a day.

Here's the link: http://simplemom.net/oil-cleansing-method/