Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Once A Month Cooking

With the Christmas season under wraps and my sister in law leaving in a couple of days, life will resume to our usual routine and quite quickly, I might add. We decided not to have the boys play soccer this season as Riah will be in dance once a week and Jayden has bible quiz competitions. However, life is crazy anyways with a couple of different co ops, bible study, and family life in general. Soo, I am attempting at streamlining the thing that can ease life to it's core in our home. FOOD and the meals that come from it.

Yesterday, I spent the latter half of the afternoon pouring over cookbooks, crock pot books, and health books trying to find the best, most nutritious, cost effective, variety banging foods that could be produced from my humble kitchen. I am please to announce that not only do I have a pretty fantastic list of foods, my grocery is quite condensed and should not cost us very much. Sooo, the moment you have been waiting for! Here is 18 meals that I plan on executing within one or maybe two days! I plan on shopping and starting this come next Thurs, so I will post my receipt from the store and let's see how this turns out!

***All this is homemade from scratch and low fat unless otherwise noted****

1. Homemade Pumpkin Ravioli w/ cornbread and salad
2.Frittata w/ salsa
3. Tacos w/ pinto beans and avocado
4. Cincinnatii Chili w/ mini cornbread muffins and salad
5. Vegetable Lasagna w/ salad
6. Potato Soup
7. Nacho Cheese Soup w/ tostito chips
8. Pea Soup w/ turkey sausage
9. Spinach Cheddar Quiche
10." Chipotle Style Carnitas Burritos" w/ homemade guacamole
11.Black Bean Salsa w/ tostito chips
12. Korean Egg Rolls- Can't wait to try this one!! MMmm
13.Black Bean burgers w/ either buns ( which I hate) or plain w/ a salad
14.Homemade Family Style Pizza
15.Shepherds Pie
16.Breakfast Dinner- oatmeal pancakes, turkey bacon, eggs, and orange juice
17.Spaghetti
18. Sweet and Sour Meatballs
19. Baked Potato Bar
20. Curry Chicken- if Ben is ok with this, he is not a huge fan of curry

Lunch Ideas
Peanut butter and Jelly
Left overs
Grilled Cheese
Hummus and chips/pretzels
Carrot and celery w/ raisins and peanut butter

Breakfast
Oatmeal w/ raisins
Waffles or pancakes ( homemade of course! w/ wheat germ)
Egg Muffins

Snacks
Popcorn
Fruit/vegetables

I am excited to go shopping and try this all out. I love feeling self sufficient, productive and efficient. I hate added ingredients and like controlling the amt of sugar, salt, etc in my food....soo, here goes to Once a month cooking! I am excited about incorporating the kids into this as well as I was less than a stellar cook *gasp* when I first got married and Ben and I laugh about " what DID we eat the first couple of years???"- honestly, I couldn't tell you! I was in college too so who knows, lots of spaghetti anyone??? :) Yes, I want my kids to be a little bit more prepared and diverse than I was. Hey, we all need to learn! I will be changing this up a little here and there. If you want to join me in once a month cooking please post so we can encourage each other! I am excited to see how much I can reduce my trips to the store with my four little loves and how much more I can rely on my ingenuity to execute the kitchen all the while savings hoards of money!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Good Luck my dear! You are brave and courageous for taking this on! Can't wait to see how it turns out for you =)

Lisa Keiser said...

I've been wanting to do this for so long, you just reinspired me! So how are you doing it, like how many meals are you making of each? I've been wanting to make my own pancakes/waffles for the freezer too, I just need a healthy recipe. I think what is such a putoff for me is that we struggle with some very picky eaters including my hubby, it's an issue from his childhood so it's difficult to overcome. So with that, mealtime is one of my least favorite things to figure out, but it would bring a lot of peace if I could at least have a meal plan!