Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Washington DC

Well, I can't believe we are in the home stretch of going around the United States. This has been an amazing adventure and I"m actually feeling sad for being almost done. We are skipping the 2 week Civil War unit in cooperation simply because I would rather introduce it at an age where they could really grasp the horrificness of it all. We talked today about Washington DC- again kind of an area where if they were just a bit older it would make more sense. Nevertheless, we drew , with chalk, the Mall outside. I explained to them the different areas and memorials and a brief synopsis of the White House. I wish my Mom lived closer so I could actually how them the pictures of when I went as a 10 year old.

Our country has so much amazing history, both good and bad but I feel privileged to be able to share with my children the successes and faults of our great leaders. Besides reading a ton today and locating Washington DC on the map, not a whole lot else went on. That's ok, as I previously mentioned, Southern picnic and key lime pie Friday and we have already started switching gears with all of our reading to the community.

So many books we read today were on firefighters, police officers, trains, plains, neighborhoods, etc. I am really looking forward to this unit within cooperation as it focuses on having action plans for fires, stranger danger, how a community needs to cooperate, etc. I can't believe we have almost completed this 30 week trait!!!! WOW!!!

Tidal basin in the blue, the beg. of our Mall chalk map

No comments: