Monday, September 12, 2011

The Ants Go Marching One by One - Hoorah

Yes, we began our study on ants today. Was it as invigorating as I had imagined. No. To be honest, thinking back to our reading I am so grossed out. My stomach is churning.

Our day started off slow. We had some friends come over this morning, which was nice and they all played for a couple of hours. I then scurried us to Riah's dance where I highly encouraged her to be a good helper as the last time she was pumped about dance and then decided to cry the entire time. She did great!  We arrived home, after lunch, I put the kids down and needed a few moments to collect myself. I was feeling rushed, imagine that. Earlier, I had 15 minutes to spare before Riahs' dance so I dropped the van off at walmart for an oil change and decided to load the kids up in the double stroller and literally, almost, sprint to her dance class which was about 1/2 mile away. Puffing and panting and sweating profusely, we arrived- hence my note of " she did great" - I really wasn't sure with our grand entrance, how she would acclimate.

Anyways, there was just a lot going on today, but we made it, I prayed and then went upstairs to find the boys playing quietly and reading on their bed. We read a bunch of ant books and learned some interesting tidbits today. First off, drum roll please, ants take care of aphids because they enjoy the aphids sugary poo- yes you heard it hear. Sounds lovely after lunch, doesn't it. Also, like the bees, male ants job is simply to mate. All the workers are female! Ben thought this sounded great, ha!

We went over the life cycle of the ant: egg-larvae ( gross looking worms)- pupae-ant. I had some other high aspirations on my white board for today but those will wait until tomorrow. Honestly, it was one of those days. We worked on language arts and math and then the kids played National Geographic.

Dinner went well, grilled chicken, smoked almonds, spinach, diced onion and carrots and poppy seed dressing. Light and refreshing. Finally, reading the Bible before bed, we were discussing in Proverbs 6:6 the verse, " consider the ant...." and asked the boys, what can we learn from the ants?? Jayden said, that they like to eat poo.....I was looking for something a little more in depth, but thank you. The best part about tonight, the wind picked up and I stepped outside- it was a chilly 82 and it felt chilly! Praise God for cooling temperatures at night and in the morning!

No comments: