Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Spontaneous Day!







Today I was wondering what could we do since we had gone to church last night and Ben was working. I discovered that our local city offers, on the first Sunday of every month, free admission to three museums! How cool is that?! Hannah slept in late which was perfect since then she would be more than happy to toodle around with us at the different exhibits. We cleaned up the house, got in the car and arrived 15 minutes after the youth museum opened.

Why has no one told me what cool places are in Arizona??! Wow, this museum focuses on art for children. There was Japanese section where the kids could do origami, a pixel section with a gigantic "light bright" ( for those of us born in the 80s) where the kids could make patterns and designs. Then, an entire section designated to Charlie Brown. There was dress up clothes to put on an pretend to be Lucy, Linus, Schroeder, Charlie, etc. stations for learning to cartoon and rubbing techniques on the paper. The kids threw balls into gloves and crawled through Snoopy's house and into Charlie Brown's living room

I kept thinking of my Dad because Charlie Brown's Christmas and an old record with Snoopy on it singing about the Red Baron " Ten, Twenty, Thirty...." ( see the above movie clip); it made me laugh.

The kids took home bookmarks to color as well as created finger print, ahem hand print, art. There was so many people there, obviously because it was free but this was  great opportunity to experience something that I did not even know existed for FREE! We then walked over to the Natural History Museum and ohmigoodness! This place is amazing! There was dinosaur skeletons, a space section with the Hubble Spacecraft and how awesome that we are reading in Psalms about how David praises God because, " You formed the stars with your fingers...and in Isaiah 40:26 " Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing."

Again there was so many people there that we will definitely have to go back on a paying day so we can stroll through and not be afraid of crushing the unsuspecting toes of strangers with my mammoth of stroller ( might I add with not one rider). My favorite part was the old West part. I loved seeing the stagecoach, going inside the mine, the old jail, panning for gold, seeing the ancient civilizations and reading how they once lived. I could go on and on, this was incredible museum. The dinosaur exhibit, evolution aside, ( which still brings up great conversation about what we believe and why) was amazing! I loved their three level dinosaur exhibit with their indoor waterfall, sound effects. etc. Overall we had a great day and it was totally spontaneous - my favorite kind of day. We ended it by grabbing In n Out and heading home. The kids are all napping/quiet time right now, my house is quite clean and I am going to brew some coffee.















in jail

panning for gold



the girl refuses to wear a headwrap and prefers the floofy and disheveled look


No comments: