Monday, August 22, 2011

Barley Soup


A favorite recipe of mine that I have been making a lot lately! It is super easy, healthy and cost effective- paired with some fresh baked bread, it makes for a perfect meal!

Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup ( recipe taken off the back of the Quaker Barley box)
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 c chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
7 c water
1 14.5 oz can unsalted whole tomatoes, undrained, cut into pieces ( I've always omitted b/c I never seem to have them around)
1/2 c barley uncooked
1/2 c celery, sliced
1/2 c carrots, sliced
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 t dried basil
1 bay leaf
1 9 oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables

Brown and drain meat. Add onion and garlic, cook until onion is tender. Drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables. Cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 50-60 min. Add frozen vegetables; cook 10 minutes more. Makes about 12 cups

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I'm trying a version of this recipe for dinner....smells yummy! Where do you get your barley? I didn't get any so this a beef and vegetable soup I guess!