Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Come Thou Fount

" Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love...." . What a desperate plea to acknowledge our carnal and weak nature to stop running the race. The kids and I focused on Robert Robinson yesterday. I am learning so much!!!! Me, that's right ME! We read how he wrote the hymn at 23, fell away from the Lord and came upon a woman humming the hymn he wrote and broke down in tears saying, "Madam, I am the poor un­hap­py man who wrote that hymn ma­ny years ago, and I would give a thou­sand worlds, if I had them, to en­joy the feel­ings I had then.”

My heart broke reading these words because once you have truly, TRULY experienced an authentic relationship with Christ and fall away, there is never a more empty and hollow feeling as that. I brought it close to home for the kids explaining that Robinson lost his Dad when he was just 8, a little older than Jayden. Reading through the words is an experience in itself. Understanding some of the history and reasoning behind the words makes it come alive even more! We located England on the map and talked about how he was sent away, by his mother, at 14 to apprentice as a barber.

I love youtube. My favorite version of this was by David Crowder band. The kids and I stood in the family room, praising the Lord as I encouraged them to raise their hands and be leaders, never followers. I am so thankful for them! Keep on training for His kingdom!

No comments: